It’s not just for Christmas… you need to keep feeding it!
Many businesses and organisations launch a blog as part of a website launch or revamp, with all the initial excitement that goes along with it. After all, a blog can attract more visitors to your website, and act as a testament to your expertise.
Cut to three years later – your customer visits your website, and the last post was dated 18 months ago. So even if the rest of the website is up to date, this makes the user wonder whether your business is still functioning at all.
It’s ironic that something which is supposed to draw more website traffic can end up putting customers off, but that’s exactly what can happen. We’re all busy people, and when the novelty wears off, time pressures mean sitting down to write that next post gets put on the back burner.
This is why it’s important to remember that a blog is like a dog. It’s not just for Christmas! It needs regular attention.
Tips for setting up a blog
Here’s a few tips to maximise the effectiveness of your blog:
- Every time you have an idea for a blog post, write it down somewhere – create a special Word document for them or use a notes app on your phone.
- Create a schedule, with reminders for you to write a post. Even better, block out a little bit of time in your diary.
- If you work in a team, enlist everyone to write the occasional post, and assign each of them a slot on the schedule. Many heads are better than one!
- Before launching your blog, get a few posts written so you’ve always got some in reserve.
- Ask guest authors to contribute, in return for a link to their website.
Good luck, and enjoy looking after your new pet!
Contact us if you need some further inspiration.